"A MODERN, PROGRESSIVE APPROACH TO SELF DEFENCE"
FightLab Defence Concepts
TheFightLab is Huddersfield's premier reality based self defence venue and we have experience training both the public, security & police staff. Our syllabus is designed to be usable immediately without years of honing. We practice an eclectic syllabus incorporating Muay Thai Boxing, Filipino Boxing technique (Panantukan), grappling & weapons defence.
This highly efficient martial art. It is devastatingly effective with its no-nonsense approach to dealing with an attacker that is armed or unarmed. Many times, the limbs of the opponent are targeted for destruction in a bid to render their ability to attack further limited or useless. This concept is known as ‘de-fanging the snake’ and has proven to be highly effective. We employ various self-perfection training drills which are extremely useful in developing attributes such as sensitivity, speed, timing, line familiarisation and target acquisition. It also employs devastating striking and grappling tactics using eye gauges, finger thrusts, head-butts, elbows, knees, chokes, wrenches and compressions to finish as quickly as possible. With the correct training and understanding, this art is a devastating street art for self-defence.
- Tone Your Muscles – Tone your upper & lower body and feel stronger
- Better Circulation – An increased heart rate increases body circulation
- Relieve Stress – There’s no better way to relieve the stress/tension
- Learn to Defend Yourself – Build self-confidence and become stronger
- Improve Your Co-ordination – Nothing improves your co-ordination like trapping drills & weapons training
- Improve Your Coordination – build balance and core stability
- Increase brain activity – Weapons training on both sides of the body engages both the left and rights sides of the brain
- Have Fun – You’ll feel stronger, faster, lighter and happier
Fundamental concepts of our curriculum
- Technique – Learn how to protect yourself standing up & on the floor using techniques from Muay Thai Boxing, Filipino Boxing & knife defence (Panantukan) & grappling. Simplicity, directness, speed, power, and deceptiveness is our core philosophy.
- Cardio vascular fitness – Aerobic and anaerobic fitness can make or break a fight
- External awareness to the environment – Where am I, what is happening?
- Threat assessment – Is this situation dangerous?
- Body boundaries – How close is someone getting/are they breaching the norms of social behaviour & how to manage an assailants distance.
"Solid boxing skills is the core of our training"
"Develop the skillsets for learning how to fight & survive in sport, in a street fight, or in a life or death situation"
Our syllabus draws primarily from:
- Muay Thai - Originally known as 'The Art of 9 Limbs' as we utilise fists, elbows, shin kicks, knees & headbutts. 'The Art of 9 Limbs' is practiced throughout southeast asia under various names. Muay Laos in Laos, Pradal Serey in Cambodia, Lethwei in Burma & Silat Tomoi in Malaysia.
- Panantukan - Often referred to as ‘dirty boxing’ due to its use of groin slaps, head butts, head manipulations, elbows and limb destructions that are devastatingly effective. Knees are also added to the mix and often aimed at the lower limbs while in boxing range. Panantukan is designed to allow an unarmed practitioner to engage in both armed and unarmed confrontations, it easily integrates the use of weapons such as knives, palmsticks (dulo y dulo). Since it is not a sport but rather a street/Jungle oriented fighting system, the techniques have not been adapted for safety or conformance to a set of rules for competition, thus it has a reputation as "dirty street fighting".
"Realistic knife defence that works"
- 65% of people who carry knives have their weapons used against them.
- 10% of 11-12 year olds and 24% of 15 and 16 year olds said they had carried a weapon in the past year.
- In 2004 more than 20 teenagers died as a result of knife attacks in the UK – that’s almost one teenager every two weeks.
Common sense tells us that knife fighting is dangerous. Solid knife defence skills first require a basic understanding of how you get wounded by a knife attack the severity. Then we look at how the person uses or holds the knife, because if they repeatedly stab as apposed to slash, a puncture wound can penetrate the flesh and severe and damage internal organs and thus be fatal.
We have four moves to effectively disarm any extreme close range knife attack. They are:
Attacks are not just with knives, but with a wide variety of edged weapons: screw driver, syringe, broken bottle, a shard of glass, a shank in a custody environment, and anything else that can cut or stab. Knowing how to survive these gruesome tools is vital.
Reality based live sparring
Although we can't totally emulate the chaos of a street fight, this is a chance to practice your technique against a resisting opponent. Our syllabus will teach you all the basics, with punches, knees and kicks, clinching and grappling techniques, throws, locks, chokes and immobilisations. We teach an association approved grading syllabus incorporating striking, takedowns and ground fighting. Our syllabus is approved and overseen by the Cobra Martial Arts Association. Our school’s focus is to provide a comfortable and friendly facility to allow the people to develop their Martial Arts creativity and skill. We try and make our sparring relevant to street based scenarios. Whether its competition, or simply a more healthy and balanced mind and body, our curriculum has been designed to provide the tools necessary for you to reach your individual goals.
Sign up to our newsletter.
Featuring training tips, news & online lessons